Friday, May 18, 2012

Ransom - Son of the Shield

We are calling my oldest son the Kingslayer around here now.  Ransom has had a very eventful year.  He is my child with the least consistent education.  What I mean is that he has hopped around more schools than the other two.  First he was in public, then my husband was teaching at a private school, he was there, then he moved to the school I was teaching at, then I home schooled them, only because I thought we would be moving midyear.  I put the younger two in public as soon as I learned otherwise, but since the middle school was going to change the following year, I kept him home.  That was last year (when he was in 7th grade)  This year, is his first year in public school since 3rd grade. Academically, he doesn't have to try very hard to get good grades.  This year he didn't try hard at all , but I didn't  have to follow up and make him do any work.   He just does it.  Minimally.   He could do better, of course.  He gets by with somewhat good grades with little or no studying. He does his homework in the class before its due.  He is the classic slacker.
Anyway, he was trying out for the middle school baseball team a couple of months ago, and as I picked him up from school, he tells me that he got in trouble.  Apparently, he wrote his name in wet cement.  There is no other kid by his name in his school, or probably the whole town, or the state, (actually the only other Ransom I heard of was an old man in Vermont) so it really was not the slickest move.  Yes, the principal called, but I don't think anything happened to ruin his academic career.

But I believe that the thing that will go down in the annals of the school's history is how he came to the aid of a fair maiden and punched an annoying rogue in the jaw.  That was yesterday.

There is a certain kind of kid that always tries to test his limits.  He is the type of personality, that no matter how big or tough the guy who touches him, he won't put up with it.  So, several times this year, especially being a new kid in the school, he has gotten into some..... altercations.  Mostly in the bathroom, he always tells me what happens.  A few days ago, a kid called him a name, he said something back and then the kid followed him into the bathroom.  A few of his friends followed them both.  Nothing happened that time except for some colorful language.

But back to the fight yesterday.  At first, I assumed he was telling me that he got in a fight to prepare me for a call from the authorities.  I didn't get a phone call  from the principal, but a friend left me a message about how her twins were talking about Ransom and liked him better than they did in the morning.  Apparently, the kid he punched in the jaw bullied a lot of kids, broke their calculators, and especially liked to hit, kick and punch girls.  Teachers actually saw his magnificent punch, and looked the other way, glad that someone did it.

This morning, my golden son, showed me a bunch of tweets and facebook statuses about him and how he did what so many wished they had the guts to do. 

A neighbor girl ran up to me today, and although she was mad at my son last week, she thought he was cool today, because of what he did (the bully had punched her and called her names as well)

I don't know what to think of it all.  I don't like violence, but I am glad my kid would punch another kid for punching a girl.  I just don't know why any of these girls didn't punch the kid himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment