Sunday, May 13, 2012

Russian Writers and British TV

Someone once said that there are two types of people in the world.
 There are those who have read Brothers Karamazov and those who have not. I only know 6 people who have read it.  It is my mission this summer.  I can not let my husband be in a class of people which excludes me.... even if I can never beat him in a game of  Word with Friends or Risk.  I read the first 10 pages and reread them, because my mind is mush and has been further mushified by reading such wonderful tales like Twilight (yes I cringe to admit it, but I couldn't put them down, no matter how terrible they were).  I am almost done with the first Game of Thrones book, and that has most definitely helped to bring my brain back from zombie land.  (Which by the way was a funny movie). 



Game of Thrones is awesome, both the books and the show, which is similar to a medieval fantasy version of War and Peace. 

It is exciting when out of the void of mindless t.v. (which of course sometimes you need) emerges amazing shows.  It was a while after Lost ended, and it seemed that nothing would ever be close in comparison.  Although I could talk about a few shows other than the Game of Thrones, such as The Walking Dead, Mad Men and Once Upon a Time, I am quite addicted to Sherlock.

Sherlock is awesome.  It is magnificent.  It is SO good.  Robert Downey Jr. may be a good Tony Starks, but he is not Sherlock Holmes.  His Holmes movies are entertaining, but they do not come close to possessing anything Conan Doyle.  Benedict Cumberbatch is different. He is Holmes.  The show has quite a fan base, and for good reason. The funny thing is that my parents told us about the show, because they are hip, and are always on the search for good BBC shows.  (Actually not only BBC, they were watching Lost before us, as well)


At first I was skeptical, because really..... how could anyone translate Holmes into the modern day?  Well... the people who create shows about Time Lords perusing through our galaxy and Torchwood saving the world can, that's who.

The Reichenbach Falls has to be my favorite.   The downside to the show is that each season only has three episodes (although each episode is movie length), but I think that is because Watson had to go be Bilbo for a while, so that is understandable.


No comments:

Post a Comment